duminică, 18 mai 2008

Estranged

"Come on! What? Why not? Ah, I give up!"

She turned her back at him, posing in a very, very angry stance. He glanced at her with a very relaxed, yet preoccupied expression on his face. He started to become bored of her...way of insisting. Afterall, it was his own business in this situation, why did she even cared? He groaned suddenly. It was stupid of him to think like that after all they've been through. He turned at her but she was already there, waiting for him to say something.

"Chloe, listen..." he said quietly "I don't see how this is going to help. I mean...what if I don't even like the guy? It's just...I'm sure that I don't need him. I'm grown-up now!"
"Just because you turned 18 last month doesn't turn you into a grown-up!"
Chloe looked at him. It was like she tried to enter his mind and just change his way of thinking. She saw a change in his eyes, and she knew what it meant...
"Ah, you're just jealous that you're only 17" and he laughed.
They used to do jokes like that all the time. At home or at school, they would always laugh together.
"You're acting like a baby" she cried
"...and you're acting like a grown-up. But guess what, you're not! Now could you stop this? I thought we came here to relax."
He lied down on the edge of the drinking fountain in the park, enjoying the drops of water that cooled his face.
"Fine!" she answered angrily. "I'm leaving!"
"What? I don't get a see ya soon kiss?"
She didn't answer. But he carried on:
"So, you're not my girlfriend anymore?"
Chloe threw a terrible look at him and left. He still wanted to tell her : "Hey, we just had our first fight! Let's celebrate! " but he stopped. "Enough joking for today" he thought.

Two hours later, he found himself in his bedroom, just staring at his desk, at all those papers. He choose one, shorter than a letter, jumped in his bed, on his back - and started read it, probably for the 500th time...

Owen,
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. ...A terrible loss... . Now...I know I really didn't had the opportunity to meet you and we only talked through letters (well...at least I talked) but I would really like to meet you. Just tell me when and where...

With love,
your Dad

Sadness covered his thoughts again. He remembered of the hard month he had. How his mother became ill, hours after his birthday party ended. They all thought she was just tired but day after day she was more and more weakned. The doctors found the problem too late and all they could do was wait! If it wasn't for Chloe, Owen would have gone mad for sure.

That's what he thought. He threw away the note and turned on the music.
It is said that music makes things to move, to live...Music sometimes has something magic.It's not always like that...
"Estranged" by Guns N'Roses started to sing. Was it fate? Just the luck of the draw? Well, it did not mattered. It mattered that the lyrics haunted Owen:

"When you're talkin' to yourself
And nobody's home
You can fool yourself
You came in this world alone
ALONE!"

"What do you know?" screamed Owen at the CD player, bursting in tears. "You don't even sing anymore!" [Alone!] whispered the song.

"Well I jumped into the river too many times
to make it home
I'm out here on my own, and drifting all alone
If it doesn't show, give it time
To read between the lines
Cause I see the storm getting closer
And the waves they get so high
Seems everything We've ever known's here..."

Owen got out of the bed and reached the telephone. He dialed slowly and waited...

*

Chloe was reading when the cell rang. She answered very quietly. After 1 minute she ended:
"I'm glad you've taken the right decision. I love you!"

"I knew the storm was getting closer
And all my friends said I was high
But everything we've known's here
I never wanted her to die."

*
The sun opened its eyes over the note, which was splashed with tears. The phone showed the last number dialed. And it was not Chole's...

Niciun comentariu: